• Welcome! SanctionedSuicide is a forum for the discussion of mental illness and suicide. Please read our rules and our Principles.
    If you are in need of immediate support, please call the Samaritans hotline at (877) 870-4673, or check our recovery resources.

kindawannacrylol

kindawannacrylol

Student
Jan 13, 2021
I haven’t seen many people discuss religious trauma as a reason to ctb on here? anyone else dying because religion has destroyed them?

• Hugs
Reactions: AtMostOkay
S

subj

Dec 16, 2021
You mean religion itself or behaviour of priests, ministers?

gr1lledcheese

gr1lledcheese

Dec 18, 2021
Not me, but I’ve no doubt that if I’d stayed a Christian I would have religious trauma. It may work for some, but it was definitely not for me.

Samsal112

Samsal112

Dec 20, 2021
Depends on what you mean. I didn't suffer any like outrageous practices or beliefs, but I do not believe my life would be the mess it is today if my family did not always just say, "Pray on it and trust in God" instead of using actual logic to problems. My family uses such little logic in everyday life and just go with the flow, but they wonder why our lives are a mess.

Pluto

Pluto

Faux human
Dec 27, 2020
My mother was a Catholic fanatic, always in her own world and divorced from reality. For the most part, I feel completely foreign to the concept of ever being loved. And because her religion promoted misogyny, she readily tolerated narcissism on the part of my father while motivating my 2 older sisters to want me dead. It was all one big shit show and 40 years later I have not even begun to recover.

G

Gsvko

Mea culpa.
Dec 14, 2021
I completely gave up religion when I realised I need to tell my priest when I masturbate. Ppppiss off old man. They also always said it was devil in me instead of MH issues, but I never took them seriously because I didn't respect them.
But I do have a friend who used to be a fananatic, she had a really hard time. I think I can understand how that can happen.

blueclover_.

blueclover_.

Better Never to Have Been: 2006, David Benatar
Oct 11, 2021
Attendance. Yup, religions are brutal.

AtMostOkay

AtMostOkay

Screw your courage to the sticking place.
Jun 29, 2021
Y
I haven’t seen many people discuss religious trauma as a reason to ctb on here? anyone else dying because religion has destroyed them?
I am a product of a violent cult. I escaped a long, long time ago, but it shaped me, I admit. I'm sorry for whatever you went through, and for the jagged edges that still cut. Peace.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic
zeroornothing

zeroornothing

Global Mod “Ye shall be as gods..🐍🍎”
Jun 22, 2021
Everything can get traumatic. Existence itself if revealed to us in its real form is traumatic. Nothing is actually what it seems to be. Everything that is gained will be lost no matter how hard we try to hold on to. Mkay

imaginary

imaginary

Sep 15, 2019
It's definitely a big part of why i'm suicidal. my mother and her family are jehovah's witnesses, and its a horrible cult. they believe that my schizophrenia is because my "lifestyle" attracts demonic influences. They literally see no problem with telling me when im psychotic that i really am being tortured by demons and that its due to choosing to leave the faith and transition.

• Aww..
Reactions: AtMostOkay
M

myopybyproxy

Student
Dec 18, 2021
I wouldn't call my experience trauma per se, but yes, my Orthodox Jewish upbringing and environment plays a role in my worsening mental health. God didn't do jack shit when I prayed to him when I was younger and had a shred of faith. I do believe that a god exists but all religion is a scam to control people. They are all cults to varying degrees.

An especially fun time is when my mother tells me my mental illnesses (depression, gender dysphoria) are just arrogance - saying I know better than god because I feel worthless and trapped in a false costume and he doesn't make mistakes - ie I have a mysterious purpose and was meant to stay AFAB my entire life.

Religious ceremonies and services are another big ol' party - what with all the gendered language and separation by birth sex. And don't get me started on the schools. The hypocrisy and callousness in the 'community' makes me borderline homicidal. It's a fucking joke. They act all pompous and try to scare people into acting decently in public so the goyim won't think poorly of them. Then they treat the outcasts like shit behind closed doors. But joke's on them because those who think the poorest are their own misguided, 'off the derech' lost children of god who need to be brought back to the fucking light. The light in Satan's asshole, maybe. Sooner or later they will fracture from the inside - that amount of dissonance is simply not sustainable.