S

Someone123

Arcanist
Oct 19, 2021
I was doing a little research on this regard and apparently its painless to bleed out except for the initial injury
Any thoughts of how to successfully bleed to death with least irritation possible
Bleeding to death (aka exsanguination, which means severe loss of blood) is a very difficult method to get to work- the movies make it look like a reliable method, but it is very difficult to get this to work in real life. According to a paper from Harvard called "Lethality of Suicide Methods" cutting has a success rate of 1.2%, which is the lowest of all methods studied in this paper. I think a person needs to know anatomy very well or just get really lucky to get this to work, since the odds of this working are 1 in 83 - this is based on attempts in the u.s. from 1989 to 1997. It is easy to find this paper if you search for this online- in case you want to see more details. I am saying this not to discourage you but to help you to avoid a failed attempt, which can lead to involuntary hospitalization, which most people don't want. I agree that it is probably not too painful if you can get it to work, it's just not that easy to do this. Best of luck, though, I've been researching for a while and I still not certain of a method, though I have narrowed it down some. It is against the rules here to "encourage acts", which seems to include recommending methods, so I wish you the best of luck for finding peace however you may choose.

Last edited:
S

Someone123

Arcanist
Oct 19, 2021
So it's painless apart from the bit that causes pain? Got it.
Well I think she means, for example it you cut open an arftery the cut will hurt but the bleeding won't and since it is usually fast then there really isn't much pain with this method compared to other methods- all of which is probably true if you are among the 1.5% who really cut open a major arery like the carotid, which is very difficult to do, and only 1 in 83 attempts works in the U.S. as an average.

Nightmare

Nightmare

Devil
Sep 15, 2018
Bleeding to death (aka exsanguination, which means severe loss of blood) is a very difficult method to get to work- the movies make it look like a reliable method, but it is very difficult to get this to work in real life. According to a paper from Harvard called "Lethality of Suicide Methods" cutting has a success rate of 1.2%, which is the lowest of all methods studied in this paper. I think a person needs to know anatomy very well or just get really lucky to get this to work, since the odds of this working are 1 in 83 - this is based on attempts in the u.s. from 1989 to 1997. It is easy to find this paper if you search for this online- in case you want to see more details. I am saying this not to discourage you but to help you to avoid a failed attempt, which can lead to involuntary hospitalization, which most people don't want. I agree that it is probably not too painful if you can get it to work, it's just not that easy to do this. Best of luck, though, I've been researching for a while and I still not certain of a method, though I have narrowed it down some. It is against the rules here to "encourage acts", which seems to include recommending methods, so I wish you the best of luck for finding peace however you may choose.
Its not against rules to "encourage acts" and especially sharing methods has its own mega thread, I been on this site nearly since its beginning and "community standards" people work their asses trying to convince everyone that this site breaks laws/kills people which have always been a problem that the adminstrator would rather avoid least measures be taken against it but it stands for free choice on practice.
I'm short of methods due to the fact that I live in syria which is full of reppressed savages that would not hesitate reporting and pretty limited in options as im conscientous objector avoiding to be caught.

Reactions: blueclover_.
obliviousatbest

obliviousatbest

atrophy
Nov 10, 2021
When researching this some years ago, as others have said, there's a very low chance of death compared to survival. When cutting the arm consider that you will need to cut through layers of muscle and nearly to the bone, deeply for long enough to prevent the vein from closing itself, which I'd imagine most people don't have the willpower to do successfully. I've self-harmed for half of my life and know I could never make myself go that deep. The method isn't impossible but it shouldn't be desirable or fantasised of like its romanticised portrayal in the movies. I'm sorry life has brought you to this morbid conclusion and hope the universe leads you towards peace.

S

Someone123

Arcanist
Oct 19, 2021
Its not against rules to "encourage acts" and especially sharing methods has its own mega thread, I been on this site nearly since its beginning and "community standards" people work their asses trying to convince everyone that this site breaks laws/kills people which have always been a problem that the adminstrator would rather avoid least measures be taken against it but it stands for free choice on practice.
I'm short of methods due to the fact that I live in syria which is full of reppressed savages that would not hesitate reporting and pretty limited in options as im conscientous objector avoiding to be caught.
Hello- I appreciate your feedback, the "encouraging acts" part of the rules and Info section on this site can be a bit confusing as far as how to implement it, but here is a copy of this just for reference:

Do NOT:
  • Harass, bully, attack or insult other members.
    • If someone is misbehaving or breaking the rules, report them instead. Do not troll or proselytize, meaning do not impose your views - no matter what they are - on others or make threads to get people riled up.
  • Encourage acts, ask for encouragement, or help anyone commit any acts.
    • Do not encourage, suggest, manipulate, coerce, or help users carry out acts of any nature whatsoever, including suicide; only provide factual information and emotional support to those who ask for it. Do not try to get the community to tell you what to do, only you can choose your path and actions.

Nightmare

Nightmare

Devil
Sep 15, 2018
Hello- I appreciate your feedback, the "encouraging acts" part of the rules and Info section on this site can be a bit confusing as far as how to implement it, but here is a copy of this just for reference:

Do NOT:
  • Harass, bully, attack or insult other members.
    • If someone is misbehaving or breaking the rules, report them instead. Do not troll or proselytize, meaning do not impose your views - no matter what they are - on others or make threads to get people riled up.
  • Encourage acts, ask for encouragement, or help anyone commit any acts.
    • Do not encourage, suggest, manipulate, coerce, or help users carry out acts of any nature whatsoever, including suicide; only provide factual information and emotional support to those who ask for it. Do not try to get the community to tell you what to do, only you can choose your path and actions.
There is no rule against sharing methods and if so then methods mega thread is a rule violation.

S

Someone123

Arcanist
Oct 19, 2021
There is no rule against sharing methods and if so then methods mega thread is a rule violation.
Yes it is not clear exactly what is meant by encouragiing acts- obviously you don't want to push someone in a direction they are uncertain of.

blueclover_.

blueclover_.

Better Never to Have Been: 2006, David Benatar
Oct 11, 2021
It's fine to reccomend methods as long as you don't pressure someone to kill themself. We're just trying to help each other to make a decision, whatever it may be.

P

PartlyHuman

Sorry for my English
Jan 10, 2021
Cutting isn't a reliable method at all unless you have a lot of experience with serious self-harming and know how to cut, where to cut and etc. But bloodletting is different from cutting and well I've not thought about it before but it might work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dumbass