- Aug 5, 2021
They aren't high voltage, they are small shocks to cause seizures. They don't cause permanent brain damage, they cause temporary short term memory loss.NO.
It is where they give you HUGE, HIGH VOLTAGE electric shocks that cause permanent brain damage.
Trust me, I haven't forgetten my problems :p I live in a toxic household, was abused growing up, etc. The memory loss I have experienced has only been things I've experienced in the past year, and even then I still remember big events, just not the small details.I haven't done any research on this at all, but I wondered about this while reading the thread. Could the side-effect itself be the cure and you just feel better because you forget your problems?
"[...]our review found that up to half of all patients who respond to ECT relapse within the first year, the period of highest risk being the first 6 months."