L

LoveTakesManyForms

Sep 9, 2021
How many of you are anxious, depressed, or suicidally depressed, and haven't had blood tests to rule out other possible causes of your mood, such as nutrient deficiencies, food allergies, etc.?
Even if your mood seems easily attributable to a given issue, it's possible that the depression etc. is at least exacerbated by these issues.

The reason I ask is that I can't help but notice that the system's response to depressed individuals is remarkably low effort: when you tell your doctor you're depressed, solutions given are generally conservative treatment such as meditation and counseling, or medication. I get the feeling that many GP's totally skim over the possibility that what you're going through may be caused by a medical condition, which may be picked up through a blood/other test.

It'd be a shame for people to die due to anxiety caused by low vitamin D!

Idontrecognizemyself

Idontrecognizemyself

Thank you for listening
Oct 26, 2021
I believe I had thyroid levels checked when I first went on antidepressants,which sounds like more than the standard šŸ˜ž None since then and it's been 3 or 4 medications now. I have no idea how they've been impacting my body chemistry and symptoms, don't seem like anyone cares to know.
It'd be a shame for people to die due to anxiety caused by low vitamin D!
This is such a crushing statement. I grieve for the lives ruined and lost by the incompetent clowns allowed to run hospitals and clinics. What a mess.

Not specifically mental illness, but when I developed chronic dizziness and nausea at 12 no one believed me, / claimed it was a side effect of my antidepressants and I would grow out of it. It took 9 years for someone to ACCIDENTALLY find out I had a brain tumor in that exact area of my brain. No diagnostic tests were ever done until I was showing actual testable quantifiable symptoms (losing my hearing). (Later found out a symptom of increased cranial pressure is intense suicidal ideation as well .... hmmmm Isn't that so funny..)
Just this week I went to a Dr appointment with a friend who, like me, has been experiencing a number of chronic nonphysical symptoms. I watched them break down when the Dr asked of they had thoughts of killing themself, because OBVIOUSLY that is the logical conclusion to such an uncaring system. I essentially bullied the Dr into diagnostic testing because No One deserves to live like this- BOOM a TON of blood work abnormalities.

Sorry that went super off topic but it's a two- sided issue. On one hand, its hard (if not impossible) to separate your personal life problems causing you to want to ctb, from the hope that there might be something totally normal and menial and fixable causing these feelings.
Even if your mood seems easily attributable to a given issue, it's possible that the depression etc. is at least exacerbated by these issues.
As you have said here. ESPECIALLY if you have been drenched in this mindset/ reality for a long time, I never ever thought I'd be able to let go of the sense of personal responsibility in my own fucked up life.

And the other side of the issue, Drs don't want to/don't know that they need to be testing us for real solvable problems. I haven't met one single person who's ever felt listened to by a doctor, not called dramatic or accused of exaggerating symptoms for attention or medication seeking. And how are we supposed to be advocating for our healthcare rights if we (see point 1) don't feel like there is any reason or hope?

It is a mess, again. Thank you for mentioning it. I would be happy to talk folks thru patient self-advocation if anyone who sees this thinks it's worth a shot

L

LoveTakesManyForms

Sep 9, 2021
W
I believe I had thyroid levels checked when I first went on antidepressants,which sounds like more than the standard šŸ˜ž None since then and it's been 3 or 4 medications now. I have no idea how they've been impacting my body chemistry and symptoms, don't seem like anyone cares to know.

This is such a crushing statement. I grieve for the lives ruined and lost by the incompetent clowns allowed to run hospitals and clinics. What a mess.

Not specifically mental illness, but when I developed chronic dizziness and nausea at 12 no one believed me, / claimed it was a side effect of my antidepressants and I would grow out of it. It took 9 years for someone to ACCIDENTALLY find out I had a brain tumor in that exact area of my brain. No diagnostic tests were ever done until I was showing actual testable quantifiable symptoms (losing my hearing). (Later found out a symptom of increased cranial pressure is intense suicidal ideation as well .... hmmmm Isn't that so funny..)
Just this week I went to a Dr appointment with a friend who, like me, has been experiencing a number of chronic nonphysical symptoms. I watched them break down when the Dr asked of they had thoughts of killing themself, because OBVIOUSLY that is the logical conclusion to such an uncaring system. I essentially bullied the Dr into diagnostic testing because No One deserves to live like this- BOOM a TON of blood work abnormalities.

Sorry that went super off topic but it's a two- sided issue. On one hand, its hard (if not impossible) to separate your personal life problems causing you to want to ctb, from the hope that there might be something totally normal and menial and fixable causing these feelings.

As you have said here. ESPECIALLY if you have been drenched in this mindset/ reality for a long time, I never ever thought I'd be able to let go of the sense of personal responsibility in my own fucked up life.

And the other side of the issue, Drs don't want to/don't know that they need to be testing us for real solvable problems. I haven't met one single person who's ever felt listened to by a doctor, not called dramatic or accused of exaggerating symptoms for attention or medication seeking. And how are we supposed to be advocating for our healthcare rights if we (see point 1) don't feel like there is any reason or hope?

It is a mess, again. Thank you for mentioning it. I would be happy to talk folks thru patient self-advocation if anyone who sees this thinks it's worth a shot
Oh my God!
What happened with the tumour in the end?