• Welcome to SanctionedSuicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness and suicide. Please read our rules and our Principles.
    If you are in need of immediate support, please call the Samaritans hotline at (877) 870-4673, or check our recovery resources.

  • If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
meetapple

meetapple

Student
Joined
Jun 3, 2021
Messages
188
I am constantly being punished for my lack of ability to conform. I tell my therapist and psychiatrist what is happening and why and they always try to give alternate explanations as if they can’t fathom a world in which this would happen. I think this is because I am diagnosed with schizophrenia and they think I am paranoid. However the patterns are too strong for this to be paranoia. Does anyone else’s therapist doubt your interpretation of reality?
 
M

MyStateKilledMe

Experienced
Joined
Apr 23, 2020
Messages
290
Oh, all the time, at least when I was seeing a therapist as a teenager.

Although... I don't think it's that she didn't believe me per se, it's that she pretended not to know what I was talking about. That is, she knew I was telling the truth. But the "truth" went against her academic training, her personal beliefs, her loyalty to my parents, or all three. So she pretended not to understand what I'm telling her, and acted like I'm saying total nonsense. Specifically, she asked follow-up questions only an idiot would ask, in order to frustrate me into stopping the "complaints" about the "bad" topics, like me being emotionally abused by my family. For example, "You said your parents don't love you. What did you do to make them not love you?" :angry:
 
  • Like
Reactions: deflationary
Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Joined
Jun 28, 2021
Messages
1,179
Sounds super infuriating. I would drop them and send them mean unsigned letters. That's what I did. If you have to go then IDK I wouldn't talk to them much. I don't fucking know. I hate all of them as an entire profession of horrible people. Narcissists and scam artists.
 
E

ElizabethsFault

Had an abusive therapist
Joined
Jun 9, 2021
Messages
63
meetapple said:
I am constantly being punished for my lack of ability to conform. I tell my therapist and psychiatrist what is happening and why and they always try to give alternate explanations as if they can’t fathom a world in which this would happen. I think this is because I am diagnosed with schizophrenia and they think I am paranoid. However the patterns are too strong for this to be paranoia. Does anyone else’s therapist doubt your interpretation of reality?
YES! And it causes me more paranoia! Feels like I’m constantly trying to prove what I’m saying is true. It monopolizes most sessions. I wanna tell them, if this is all paranoia, why don’t you do your jobs and fix it? Particularly my psychiatrist who could easily prescribe something for my “paranoia.”
 
E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Joined
Jul 5, 2020
Messages
406
It depends what you're telling them. What are the patterns you are describing? What aren't you conforming with?

This has happened to me and sometimes my therapists were right, and other times they were being plain inconsiderate. Usually if you feel like there's some kind of organized conspiracy against you, such as something like "my coworkers are plotting to fire me by framing me for stealing because they don't like me," that's classic paranoia and I think most therapists are trained to just ignore it (if it's really bizarre) or try to CBT you out of it (if you're making sense and basing things on reality but overall distorting the situation)

But stating that you've observed a pattern in people's behavior, and speculating that it might have something to do with a trait of yours... not usually paranoia, maybe you should switch therapists if that's an option to you. A good therapist will ask you more about it, and usually the good ones will be honest and say something like "ok, so let's say that's indeed what's happening..." and go into some kind of spiel about acceptance or stress reduction.
 
Last edited:
meetapple

meetapple

Student
Joined
Jun 3, 2021
Messages
188
everydayiloveyou said:
It depends what you're telling them. What are the patterns you are describing? What aren't you conforming with?

This has happened to me and sometimes my therapists were right, and other times they were being plain inconsiderate. Usually if you feel like there's some kind of organized conspiracy against you, such as something like "my coworkers are plotting to fire me by framing me for stealing because they don't like me," that's classic paranoia and I think most therapists are trained to just ignore it (if it's really bizarre) or try to CBT you out of it (if you're making sense and basing things on reality but overall distorting the situation)

But stating that you've observed a pattern in people's behavior, and speculating that it might have something to do with a trait of yours... not usually paranoia, maybe you should switch therapists if that's an option to you. A good therapist will ask you more about it, and usually the good ones will be honest and say something like "ok, so let's say that's indeed what's happening..." and go into some kind of spiel about acceptance or stress reduction.
Basically from youth I could not accept my sexual orientation and I dealt with that by trying to control my thoughts. This interfered with my socialization. I never became comfortable around people. Today, I show this lack of confidence which I believe causes people to pay attention to me. Whenever I have a thought or do something that causes self-consciousness it shows and people say things or frown at me.
 
  • Hugs
Reactions: lobster salad
N

noaccount

Mage
Joined
Oct 26, 2019
Messages
538
meetapple said:
Basically from youth I could not accept my sexual orientation and I dealt with that by trying to control my thoughts. This interfered with my socialization. I never became comfortable around people. Today, I show this lack of confidence which I believe causes people to pay attention to me. Whenever I have a thought or do something that causes self-consciousness it shows and people say things or frown at me.
This makes a lot of sense, I'm really sorry they're not listening to you. :(
Basically yeah I think "because it goes against their academic training" is why they ignore testimony from exploited, poor working-class and disabled people most of the time.
Have you seen "recovery in the bin" or David Smail's work at all?
 
E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Joined
Jul 5, 2020
Messages
406
meetapple said:
Basically from youth I could not accept my sexual orientation and I dealt with that by trying to control my thoughts. This interfered with my socialization. I never became comfortable around people. Today, I show this lack of confidence which I believe causes people to pay attention to me. Whenever I have a thought or do something that causes self-consciousness it shows and people say things or frown at me.
That sounds like a very valid observation, if you are LGBT it would be really disrespectful for a therapist to act like you are being paranoid. I'm LGBT and this is a common fear and an unfortunate reality in the community! Even if you aren't an LGBT person, people can make judgements about you if they perceive you are LGBT, and it's possible that your concern over this affects your confidence as well. And it's not like people don't behave differently around someone they perceive as less confident.

A good therapist wouldn't shy way from the fact that bad things can happen and that sometimes people are not butterflies and rainbows who like everyone they meet. Ideally they should do some stress reduction with you, such as processing your response to the question, "what if someone is indeed frowning at you for your lack of confidence?" and discussing ways you can handle that outcome without letting it overtake your life.

Try bringing this up to your therapist, they might not have noticed that their tendency to offer alternative explanations is bothering you. If they're not receptive and/or keep doing it, try finding someone else if that's an option for you.
 
nohopeforethefuture

nohopeforethefuture

I deserve to die
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
143
I dont have schizophrenia, but I do feel like I have this problem.

ALL the time, I will try to explain something to my therapist and she feels the need to explain all the other possibilities it could be. I hate it. I’m a very self aware person and…paradoxically enough I feel like when I know something, I know. I say paradoxically because I dont trust my judgment at all, and usually follow up every statement with a maybe or try not to speak in absolutes in areas where I really probably am just wrong. Which is most areas and I am always wrong.

that may sound convoluted. Basically I feel strongly that I know what I know, but in general feel like I never know anything. And it angers me when my therapist tries to find alternate solutions/reasons for things that I “know” since they are so few.
 
M

MyStateKilledMe

Experienced
Joined
Apr 23, 2020
Messages
290
nohopeforethefuture said:
ALL the time, I will try to explain something to my therapist and she feels the need to explain all the other possibilities it could be. I hate it. I’m a very self aware person and…paradoxically enough I feel like when I know something, I know. I say paradoxically because I dont trust my judgment at all, and usually follow up every statement with a maybe or try not to speak in absolutes in areas where I really probably am just wrong. Which is most areas and I am always wrong.
Welcome to my world! When I was a teenager, I used to see a therapist, and also kept getting emotionally abused by my family. When I told her about it, she made a bunch of "empathy noises", but it was clear that she was mocking me or telling me I'm a loser. I tried asking for advice or assertiveness techniques, but she either dodged the questions or told me crap like "just tell them how you feel".

Now I know why she did it. She was a family therapist, and "family" therapist only help the parents, and see kids/teens as subhuman.
 
nohopeforethefuture

nohopeforethefuture

I deserve to die
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
143
MyStateKilledMe said:
Welcome to my world! When I was a teenager, I used to see a therapist, and also kept getting emotionally abused by my family. When I told her about it, she made a bunch of "empathy noises", but it was clear that she was mocking me or telling me I'm a loser. I tried asking for advice or assertiveness techniques, but she either dodged the questions or told me crap like "just tell them how you feel".

Now I know why she did it. She was a family therapist, and "family" therapist only help the parents, and see kids/teens as subhuman.
I’m wondering if therapy even works for real problems. Or maybe you just have to be a certain kind of person. Which I probably am not then. It’s super frustrating and I hate “therapist shopping”. I would honestly rather be miserable and ctb than do this for too much longer. It’s not worth it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MyStateKilledMe
M

MyStateKilledMe

Experienced
Joined
Apr 23, 2020
Messages
290
nohopeforethefuture said:
I’m wondering if therapy even works for real problems. Or maybe you just have to be a certain kind of person. Which I probably am not then. It’s super frustrating and I hate “therapist shopping”. I would honestly rather be miserable and ctb than do this for too much longer. It’s not worth it.
It does not. Think about it: the-rapy is the only industry where it's the UNHAPPY mark/customer who keeps coming back. Your the-rapist has a financial interest in keeping you unhappy. If he/she fixes your problem quickly and effectively, you don't come back and they lose months or years of future effortless income. So that's why the-rapists don't do anything; actually helping marks/customers kills (pun intended) their income. And... if the mark complains about not seeing results quickly enough, or starts seeing through the the-rapy bullshit, their the-rapist can easily blame the mark: by accusing them of "not engaging" or "being resistant". :angry:

The "certain kind of person" who benefits from the-rapy is someone who knows how to either manipulate a the-rapist into giving out a working solution or intimidate a the-rapist by threatening their license. Sadly, many of us thinking of CTB'ing lack the manipulation or intimidation skills necessary to succeed in the-rapy.
 
Last edited:
nohopeforethefuture

nohopeforethefuture

I deserve to die
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
143
MyStateKilledMe said:
It does not. Think about it: the-rapy is the only industry where it's the UNHAPPY mark/customer who keeps coming back. Your the-rapist has a financial interest in keeping you unhappy. If he/she fixes your problem quickly and effectively, you don't come back and they lose months or years of future effortless income. So that's why the-rapists don't do anything; actually helping marks/customers kills (pun intended) their income. And... if the mark complains about not seeing results quickly enough, or starts seeing through the the-rapy bullshit, their the-rapist can easily blame the mark: by accusing them of "not engaging" or "being resistant". :angry:

The "certain kind of person" who benefits from the-rapy is someone who knows how to either manipulate a the-rapist into giving out a working solution or intimidate a the-rapist by threatening their license. Sadly, many of us thinking of CTB'ing lack the manipulation or intimidation skills necessary to succeed in the-rapy.
Maybe you’re right. I dont know if I can make myself believe it though because I’m predisposed to believe that everything I’m inclined to feel/believe is wrong/bad. Just frustrating and definitely isn’t helping my mood…
 
Rhaiyne

Rhaiyne

"To be - or not to be.... That is the question"
Joined
Jul 4, 2021
Messages
109
Really sorry to hear that this is happening and adding to your frustration of not being fully heard.
I must be extremely lucky with my therapist. She engages very well with me and is always fully present. She observes my body language and tone of voice and will notice any small shift in me. She will then ask me to sit with that for a few moments then ask what is happening for me. It does make me a little more aware of my emotions in that moment. I also decided to go into this therapy being totally honest about everything, listening, re-evaluating, being honest with myself if therapist hits on something I actually know to be true but won't admit to myself. Going into it hugely honest and transparent and looking deep into myself and my reasons for my behaviour is so difficult but I'm looking to change how I operate and take ownership and responsibility for my choices now as an adult regardless of who hurt me in my past. I've got to a point where I can no longer blame my past - it gets me nothing but frustration, hurt and trauma all over. My therapist has never shown judgment or invalidated me in any manner. Whilst is annoying having to therapy shop, it may be worth that extra bit of time to find someone who is as human as they are a therapist rather than just a text book therapist.
 
meetapple

meetapple

Student
Joined
Jun 3, 2021
Messages
188
My neighbors sometimes set off fireworks and blow bird whistles just to annoy me. I told my psychiatrist today that I once called the police to tell them about the fireworks which are completely illegal where I live. He said that I could be imagining them and that I should ask someone else whether he or she heard them before calling the police. Would this be considered gaslighting and how would you have reacted to this?
 
Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Joined
Jun 28, 2021
Messages
1,179
meetapple said:
My neighbors sometimes set off fireworks and blow bird whistles just to annoy me. I told my psychiatrist today that I once called the police to tell them about the fireworks which are completely illegal where I live. He said that I could be imagining them and that I should ask someone else whether he or she heard them before calling the police. Would this be considered gaslighting and how would you have reacted to this?
I would have told them: okay I think I will be leaving now....and then NEVER go back to them

Perhaps tell them to fuck off and die
 
M

MyStateKilledMe

Experienced
Joined
Apr 23, 2020
Messages
290
everydayiloveyou said:
That sounds like a very valid observation, if you are LGBT it would be really disrespectful for a therapist to act like you are being paranoid. I'm LGBT and this is a common fear and an unfortunate reality in the community! Even if you aren't an LGBT person, people can make judgements about you if they perceive you are LGBT, and it's possible that your concern over this affects your confidence as well. And it's not like people don't behave differently around someone they perceive as less confident.
That's an excellent tip! WHENEVER you tell your therapist about feeling persecuted, you should always, ALWAYS append "because I'm gay/lesbian" onto statement; even if that's a lie. If you're straight and cis-gendered, especially if male, persecution is dumb "paranoia" that must be gaslighted out of you. But if you're LGBT, you're an "underprivileged minority" who deserves to be taken seriously. Oftentimes, for LGBT persons, that's actually true. But in today's political climate, straight persons are seen as a universal "unwoke" enemy.

Use that to your advantage! Most therapists are biased, prejudiced, leftist liberals. And they're gullible morons to boot. So when you can't beat them, join them. Pose as LGBT, and see how quickly therapists start taking you seriously. Because if they let an LGBT person get abused, they'll face social consequences from their fellow psych liberals. Best of all, they can't find out the truth from you, and it'll illegal for them to ask.
 
Last edited:
aviation

aviation

家に行きたい。
Joined
Jul 30, 2021
Messages
109
A therapist will, in essence, have a predetermined opinion on everything you may tell them, prior to you saying anything. That's, in some way, why they're there - finding surface-level (behavioral and/or thought) patterns in what patients describe, and assigning these perceived patterns to predefined categories, which, in turn, exist solely for the purpose of this categorization. This can mean that you may rarely, if ever, be taken at face value, due to this categorization mindset having the possibility of becoming a predisposition, and defining how you will be seen, and in what way the experiences you describe will be judged/compared/categorized (not necessarily even intentionally), i.e. 'seen through the lens of the diagnosis or such you have already been assigned', instead of truly being taken at face value. It is almost a little circular in nature.
 
  • Like
Reactions: deflationary
E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Joined
Jul 5, 2020
Messages
406
MyStateKilledMe said:
That's an excellent tip! WHENEVER you tell your therapist about feeling persecuted, you should always, ALWAYS append "because I'm gay/lesbian" onto statement; even if that's a lie. If you're straight and cis-gendered, especially if male, persecution is dumb "paranoia" that must be gaslighted out of you. But if you're LGBT, you're an "underprivileged minority" who deserves to be taken seriously. Oftentimes, for LGBT persons, that's actually true. But in today's political climate, straight persons are seen as a universal "unwoke" enemy.

Use that to your advantage! Most therapists are biased, prejudiced, leftist liberals. And they're gullible morons to boot. So when you can't beat them, join them. Pose as LGBT, and see how quickly therapists start taking you seriously. Because if they let an LGBT person get abused, they'll face social consequences from their fellow psych liberals. Best of all, they can't find out the truth from you, and it'll illegal for them to ask.
If you feel the need to lie to your therapist, especially about something like this, then tbh you should either get a new therapist or stop going to therapy. It's a two way street -- the therapist needs to do the work as much as you do. That is something empirically proven.

By the way it's not illegal for a therapist to ask if you're "actually" gay, if you were an actual LGBT person who spoke about this in therapy, and not just someone using our REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES as a talking point or a manipulation tactic, you'd know that therapists will ask for details about your identity, especially if you don't mention your sexuality/romance very much, and you express confusion, feelings of self-consciousness, or a sense of not belonging. Those are common experiences in questioning people and also gay people with trauma or tumultuous social relationships. Straight people can also feel those things, and not have to pretend they're LGBT, and they also go to therapy to address it

There are therapists who disagree with the "LGBT lifestyle" (an inaccurate way to describe it) who will politely remind you of that during intake if you ask if they are LGBT-friendly.

Maybe you feel paranoid and like people are against you because you do indeed say things that elict those feelings in people. A therapist needs to acknowledge that just like how they should acknowledge an LGBT person's paranoia about being judged. I'm sorry you feel this way but this is an extremely tone-deaf thing to say on a site like this. The world is not at all like you're describing it, especially not for the LGBT, it's very selfish to act as if we're protected in some sense against discrimination as if those laws weren't just passed a couple years ago and homophobes no longer exist.
 
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Joined
Aug 14, 2020
Messages
149
nohopeforethefuture said:
I’m wondering if therapy even works for real problems.

It’s not known for that, no. The entire premise of psychotherapy is that the biggest problem in your life is you. If only you thought or behaved differently, the world that once seemed hostile and joyless would become wonderful, and your life would feel worth living. All you need is a good therapist to tell you all the ways in which you are doing everything wrong.

Seriously, how charmed a life do you have to lead for your biggest problem to be your lack of self-actualization? If that’s your worst nightmare, then you’re probably not one of the three billion people who live on less than $2.50 USD a day. Your neighborhood doesn’t get shot up by gangs on the regular. Your local religious majority doesn’t insist that people like you should be denied basic civil rights. You don’t live with someone who causes you to fear for your life. In short, you’re not most people, and more importantly you don’t remotely have the same background as your average therapist.*

I’m LGBT myself, and more and more I’ve been hearing from people like me that they are feeling unsafe in the area where I live. As long ago as January of 2020 I was talking with queer friends and relatives about whether or not we should try to get out of the country entirely, and things have palpably worsened since then.

During a psyche hospital stay in August of 2020, I had a social worker call a cishet relative of mine to check out whether several of my anxieties were “realistic.” My normie fam of course said they were not. Meanwhile, every serious conversation I was having with queer people (other less-loved groups too) referenced the terror they were living in. A friend of mine was nearly run over by a car at a protest. The guy next to him had his leg crushed under a tire. The driver was either homicidal or so brain dead he couldn’t tell he was accelerating straight at a group of human beings. This shit is not a joke.

But to answer your question once again, being disbelieved and gaslit by therapists is perfectly normal if you have serious, real-world problems.

*I’m not suggesting that therapists somehow have no personal problems. A lot of them are real pieces of work. Rather, I’m saying that as a group, they have comparatively few societal problems. At the very least, nothing major got in the way of them graduating from a college prep high school program, then a four year undergraduate degree, then a two year master’s program. That is really hard to do if you’re living in your car and eating out of a trash can.
 
M

MyStateKilledMe

Experienced
Joined
Apr 23, 2020
Messages
290
everydayiloveyou said:
If you feel the need to lie to your therapist, especially about something like this, then tbh you should either get a new therapist or stop going to therapy. It's a two way street -- the therapist needs to do the work as much as you do. That is something empirically proven.
...
There are therapists who disagree with the "LGBT lifestyle" (an inaccurate way to describe it) who will politely remind you of that during intake if you ask if they are LGBT-friendly.
Therapists are lying, manipulative scumbags. When you're in therapy, everything has a hidden meaning, and nothing is what it seems. For instance, you tell your therapist how your parents emotionally abuse you, and that loser just sits there and stares at you. Or, if your say social distancing makes you feel lonely, that loser berates you for spreading Covid. That purpose of the staring or the berating is to intimidate you into shutting up, because your therapist isn't there for you---they're there for your parents or the Democrat politicians.

So... when you're in therapy, the only way to succeed is to fight dirty. That means use any tricks available to you in your favor. Play the race card if you can. Accuse your therapist of being homophobic, whether you're actually LGBT or faking it. Make them feel scared by flashing a gang sign while they mad-dog you by staring. Fart during an uncomfortable silence, and say "now you know how I feel". Flip them off. Remember: they don't see you as worthy of their sympathy, and you shouldn't see them as worthy of yours, either.
 
Last edited:
OrcWitch

OrcWitch

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2021
Messages
59
everydayiloveyou said:
There are therapists who disagree with the "LGBT lifestyle"
This happened to me before. It kind of sucked because me being there had nothing to do with that aspect of my life, but as soon as I mentioned it she shifted her focus off of the talks of domestic violence and made it about the pain I am inflicting on my parents by existing, and my "choice". Towards the end she said something about me being "confused" due to childhood trauma, which is a nasty thing to use against someone. She also asked some incredibly unnecessary, unprofessional questions that had nothing to do with her job or my mental health. I poker faced my way through but ended up crying when I got to the parking lot and was alone. It was like as soon as LGBT came up a switch flipped in her brain and she ceased doing her job and just spent the rest of the time attacking me and playing inquisitor.

I will say she was the minority though from my own sample size, as all other mental health professionals have been kind and polite if I mention this aspect of myself.
 
Last edited:
E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Joined
Jul 5, 2020
Messages
406
OrcWitch said:
This happened to me before. It kind of sucked because me being there had nothing to do with that aspect of my life, but as soon as I mentioned it she shifted her focus off of the talks of domestic violence and made it about the pain I am inflicting on my parents by existing, and my "choice". Towards the end she said something about me being "confused" due to childhood trauma, which is a nasty thing to use against someone. She also asked some incredibly unnecessary, unprofessional questions that had nothing to do with her job or my mental health. I poker faced my way through but ended up crying when I got to the parking lot and was alone. It was like as soon as LGBT came up a switch flipped in her brain and she ceased doing her job and just spent the rest of the time attacking me and playing inquisitor.

I will say she was the minority though from my own sample size, as all other mental health professionals have been kind and polite if I mention this aspect of myself.
I'm so sorry this happened to you, that's terrible. There's no excuse for that psych to just throw everything she learned during training out the window and start to purposefully hurt her patient, even if she disagrees with something about them. Hopefully you found a better therapist after that.

I'm really scared of this happening so I always ask what their general views are during intake. If a therapist said anything that implied that they don't "agree with the LGBT lifestyle" or even respect who I am, I would not see them.
 
  • Love
Reactions: OrcWitch
Midgardsorm

Midgardsorm

Undead
Joined
Apr 28, 2020
Messages
456
OrcWitch said:
This happened to me before. It kind of sucked because me being there had nothing to do with that aspect of my life, but as soon as I mentioned it she shifted her focus off of the talks of domestic violence and made it about the pain I am inflicting on my parents by existing, and my "choice". Towards the end she said something about me being "confused" due to childhood trauma, which is a nasty thing to use against someone. She also asked some incredibly unnecessary, unprofessional questions that had nothing to do with her job or my mental health. I poker faced my way through but ended up crying when I got to the parking lot and was alone. It was like as soon as LGBT came up a switch flipped in her brain and she ceased doing her job and just spent the rest of the time attacking me and playing inquisitor.

I will say she was the minority though from my own sample size, as all other mental health professionals have been kind and polite if I mention this aspect of myself.

What in the world was this therapist doing? The way she treated you should be punishable. This was simply outrageous to say the least. I can't believe that someone like this has a permit to work with people's emotions.
 
OrcWitch

OrcWitch

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2021
Messages
59
Midgardsorm said:
What in the world was this therapist doing? The way she treated you should be punishable. This was simply outrageous to say the least. I can't believe that someone like this has a permit to work with people's emotions.
She on some level probably thought that was the key to helping me and fixing my life, I don't know. I'm not worried about it anymore but that was a bad day. I did not know it was possible for someone like that to end up working as a therapist, since nothing about this is in the DSM. Maybe she possibly could have got into trouble if I reported this to the clinic I went to, but I am not the type to raise a fuss and complain.
everydayiloveyou said:
I'm so sorry this happened to you, that's terrible. There's no excuse for that psych to just throw everything she learned during training out the window and start to purposefully hurt her patient, even if she disagrees with something about them. Hopefully you found a better therapist after that.

I'm really scared of this happening so I always ask what their general views are during intake. If a therapist said anything that implied that they don't "agree with the LGBT lifestyle" or even respect who I am, I would not see them.

It's okay. I have found a therapist this year and she is a nice lady.

That is a good thing to do. If they are skeptical or critical of your existence they cannot do anything to ever help you with actual mental problems.
 
N

noaccount

Mage
Joined
Oct 26, 2019
Messages
538
MyStateKilledMe said:
That's an excellent tip! WHENEVER you tell your therapist about feeling persecuted, you should always, ALWAYS append "because I'm gay/lesbian" onto statement; even if that's a lie. If you're straight and cis-gendered, especially if male, persecution is dumb "paranoia" that must be gaslighted out of you. But if you're LGBT, you're an "underprivileged minority" who deserves to be taken seriously. Oftentimes, for LGBT persons, that's actually true. But in today's political climate, straight persons are seen as a universal "unwoke" enemy.

Use that to your advantage! Most therapists are biased, prejudiced, leftist liberals. And they're gullible morons to boot. So when you can't beat them, join them. Pose as LGBT, and see how quickly therapists start taking you seriously. Because if they let an LGBT person get abused, they'll face social consequences from their fellow psych liberals. Best of all, they can't find out the truth from you, and it'll illegal for them to ask.
Shut the fuck up dumbass
 
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Arcanist
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
443
I'm seriously depressed the current NHS always try and point towards to child abuse but it's not that, there not very knowledgeable and it's frustrating.
 
N

netrezven

Specialist
Joined
Dec 13, 2018
Messages
374
Some year ago try that. I'm sure they might have questioned some stuff that i say and also sure they took it seriously afterwards. And it was the most mild part of it all. And it affected them on daily basis, like when walking on the street.
Anyway talking about suicide was the only thing that wasn't took seriously. It was my deal back then, but i guess it's not possible for normal person to understand that poison, going though my blood for no reason. Or it was the right reaction and try to focus on the real problem.
I'm afraid if go now and talk what i know and what i think of it, they are going to need to visit specialits. I don't see the point in ruin their live by implanting my way of thinking into them.
And really don't see a way they or anyone can cure that. That ptsd stuff with a world that constantly proves it's reasons has no fix. At least it's the world i've the illusion of choosing.
 
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Joined
Dec 8, 2020
Messages
1,768
I’ve had a couple of therapists do this. It really sucks when you’re trying to be honest and they brush you off, gaslight you, whatever. One in particular still stands out, and it’s been almost a year. I would try to describe what I was experiencing and she literally asked me if I was trying to get a “worse” diagnosis. She was one of the therapists who clearly thought I was exaggerating. She would say that I wasn’t actually feeling what I would describe to her, was very rude and condescending about it.

It felt pretty awful to have supposed professionals brush me off and act like I’m a liar. Malingering. Whatever. Sigh. I’m sorry your therapist doesn’t seem to provide you with the support you need.
 
Similar threads

Similar threads