• Welcome to SanctionedSuicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness and suicide. Please read our rules and our Principles.
    If you are in need of immediate support, please call the Samaritans hotline at (877) 870-4673, or check our recovery resources.

• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
meetapple

meetapple

I have been told by my psychiatrist that I have poor self-esteem. I thought volunteering would be a good way to improve my self-esteem. Since I have a law degree I tried volunteering for a nonprofit writing reports on proposed regulations. I eventually quit because I was frustrated with the quality of reports I was writing. I did not feel it had as much impact on my life as I thought it would. It has now been over half a year since I quit and I have been a NEET since then. I have now done some research and have identified the Gutenberg Project as a potential opportunity. It would involve transcribing texts in the public domain. Has anyone used volunteering as a way to improve self-esteem and outlook on life and what were the results?

Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Mage
I think you should go for it. It sounds like at least tasks that you can use your brain. I recently was given a stipulation that I had to seek places to volunteer in order to stay where I am at. Being in a very shitty town, in a shitty area I have not found anything great (I tried and am still sort of looking around, but there isn't anything). What really sucks is I pretend to go to the places. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34
C

Computer Blue

My experience is that volunteering gives my life some meaning and does indeed make me feel better. Unfortunately it seems that I have been shown very clearly that no good deed goes unpunished ... but that could be just me because it seems the universe has not missed an opportunity to give me a boot to the mouth for the last 8 years. I would certainly suggest you give it a try though.

• Love
T

timf

Arcanist
I once talked with a woman that ran an animal shelter about the difficulty in finding and keeping volunteers. She said her problem was that many people wanted to cuddle furry animals, but most of the work they had was shoveling poop and euthanizing animals.

Volunteer work should be considered on the basis of if the work is most important, or the people you meet are most important to you. Volunteering foes not have to be done through an organization either. You can call a retirement home and ask if they would be interested in your reading to someone who wanted a visitor for example.