A

ArtsyDrawer

seeking artsyness partners.
Nov 8, 2018
Good afternoon, volunteer.

In a way, I've given myself a challenge. A challenge to get good enough at drawing, a challenge to leave my mark on this godforsaken world.
And so, every so often I will post here. Drawings.
Most of these drawings will be shit. In fact, all of them will. None of them will ever be in the quality I'm trying to reach. As I learn, the quality I strive for of said drawings will increase. I will never be satisfied.
Will you be, though?

This is where your story begins, my dear volunteer.
I want you to analyze my drawings and, usually, pick the top 3. If I'm super tired, pick top 1, or if I'm... the opposite of tired... pick top 5. I'll tell you how many to pick.
There will be little numbers by the drawings so it's easy to pick.
Then, if you feel like putting the extra effort in, explain why these were top 1/3/5.
Thoroughly or not, that's your choice. You can just say "these were the least shitty ones", and I'll still be satisfied.

I will also put "[ANALYSIS START]" and "[ANALYSIS END]" when I believe I had enough analysis assuming the site lets me edit posts that are several days old.
I will number the posts so that you can comfortably analyze. "Analysis 2,3,4,etc".
The post will look something like this:
Analysis n
<drawing>
[ANALYSIS START]
Are you willing to participate?

Last edited:
ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
Sure thing. I like good art and crap art, but nothing can be worse than mine. I judge fairly!

whatevs

whatevs

There is something special about deciding when
Jan 15, 2022
Yeah, I will try.

S

Smart No More

Enlightened
May 5, 2021
Check out Sycra on YouTube. Really good info on drawing. There are others but Sycra has a certain way about him. He also attempted suicide and struggles with mental health. Not sure if his vids about it are still up but worth a look

Last edited:
A

ArtsyDrawer

Nov 8, 2018
Read first post for context.

Analisys #1
ANALYSIS START
Select top 3
IMG 20220307 155108
Commentary: I apologize it took this long to post the first image. Events out of my control occurred that prevented me from starting properly on the planned day.
Also, fuckups in general.
This is page 1 of how many I hope to achieve today. I will obviously not request 45 analysises, that would be insane.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
ANALISIS #1

14 is the best one, but why not try something more detailed next? And they don't need to 25 copies of a similar thing, you can put more effort into say three drawings with different styles and ask for an analysis, so you find your most effective style.

Last edited:
A

ArtsyDrawer

Nov 8, 2018
ANALISIS #1

14 is the best one, but why not try something more detailed next? And they don't need to 25 copies of a similar thing, you can put more effort into say three drawings with different styles and ask for an analysis, so you find your most effective style.
The problem is most drawing tutorials are something like this: "let's start with a basic circle - "

I have yet to find one that isn't.
Well, I did find one; PRECISELY ONE.
The problem is, as you see here, is that I'm drawing all shapes and sizes of that tutorial. Even with it open right in front of my face.

Now that I got #14 as "good", I'll try to figure out what my body did to produce #14, commit it to muscle memory, and the next analysis will be of it, say, looking 45° to the side.
Again, commit to muscle memory once a good one has been elected, then 90° view.
Analysis.
Then we add the hands.
Then legs.
Then I don't know what because this tutorial, so far, is 14 episodes long, but I'm doing the first ⅓ of the first episode, and this guy let's his thoughts go astray.
In a perfect world I'd go lock myself in some cave for a year and come out as a great drawer. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world.
Most of my time is dedicated to making money for rent, food, meds, and tending to addictions which are no longer merely physical.
This will have to do instead.

Last edited:
Un-

Un-

What difference does it make if you're of any use?
Apr 6, 2021
Read first post for context.

Analisys #1
ANALYSIS START
Select top 3
View attachment 88089
Commentary: I apologize it took this long to post the first image. Events out of my control occurred that prevented me from starting properly on the planned day.
Also, fuckups in general.
This is page 1 of how many I hope to achieve today. I will obviously not request 45 analysises, that would be insane.

Picture X. It doesn't belong there. It's a mistake. It's faceless, lacking identity. It can't even fulfil the meaning it was created for. I like it the most, for obvious reasons.

• Love
Reactions: Cathy Ames
M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
I like X the most. It has an angle, like you're looking down at the character rather than head-on as with the others. Of the others, I like 2, 4, and 9 the best, not in that order.

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
Fuck drawing tutorials. Art nowadays can literally be an empty canvas or a pile of shit. If you have any interest in art my advice is to look for your own style, to find what can you produce that is unique or at the very least entertaining/visually pleasant.

I did one year of art college and used to love drawing, then anhedonia kicked in and I haven't touched a pencil or brush since then. I was starting to see myself as a comic artist, for example. Not a huge amount of technical skill, but sense of humour, some culture, liked caricatures... You need to find your spot.

C

Cathy Ames

Hopeless
Mar 11, 2022
I like 1, 14, 6 (possibly 1 is my favorite, tbh). I feel those three have real expressions.

A

ArtsyDrawer

Nov 8, 2018
Fuck drawing tutorials. Art nowadays can literally be an empty canvas or a pile of shit. If you have any interest in art my advice is to look for your own style, to find what can you produce that is unique or at the very least entertaining/visually pleasant.

I did one year of art college and used to love drawing, then anhedonia kicked in and I haven't touched a pencil or brush since then. I was starting to see myself as a comic artist, for example. Not a huge amount of technical skill, but sense of humour, some culture, liked caricatures... You need to find your spot.
Yeah, I agree with the first two sentences. Problem: do you see Jackson Pollock making a manga? That's my ultimate goal here - making a manga, and I'm trying to harness the power of SS to make it artistically appeasing.

For everyone else, [END ANALYSIS]!
I've put the pencil down for quite a bit due to depression issues and forgot how to even draw normal fucking circles. I'd have to churn out a new batch of forward-facing faces again. -_-

C

Cathy Ames

Hopeless
Mar 11, 2022
Yeah, I agree with the first two sentences. Problem: do you see Jackson Pollock making a manga? That's my ultimate goal here - making a manga, and I'm trying to harness the power of SS to make it artistically appeasing.

For everyone else, [END ANALYSIS]!
I've put the pencil down for quite a bit due to depression issues and forgot how to even draw normal fucking circles. I'd have to churn out a new batch of forward-facing faces again. -_-
So you are specifically trying to master a manga style vs. finding your own style? [Possibly I don't understand. I'll google.]

Last edited:
Reactions: whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
Well, some mangas were poorly drawn and succeeded but overall you put yourself in a tough situation with that goal. Let's see what you got!

A

ArtsyDrawer

Nov 8, 2018
So you are specifically trying to master a manga style vs. finding your own style? [Possibly I don't understand. I'll google.]
Half and half. I do want it to be manga-ish, but I also want to develop my own style.
Well, some mangas were poorly drawn and succeeded but overall you put yourself in a tough situation with that goal. Let's see what you got!
Indeed! That's the very thing I'm trying to do!
It's like with coding:
Step 1) HelloWorld.cpp
Steps 2 to 200) ???
Step 201) write something with your specific style.
Step 1, however, is the helloworld.
That's what the tutorials are for. That's why this thread exists in the first place: with it's help (though I reckon it'll have like 10% overall on my actual style) I figure out the basics.
I mean, look at the My Hero Academia guy. Look at his manga, not anime. It's such a clusterfuck!
But before he went clusterfuck mode, he had to study the basics.
My current level is stickmen. After the tutorials? Fuck if I know, but definitely better than stickmen.

• Love
C

Cathy Ames

Hopeless
Mar 11, 2022
Half and half. I do want it to be manga-ish, but I also want to develop my own style.
[...]
My current level is stickmen. After the tutorials? Fuck if I know, but definitely better than stickmen.
Hey, based on xkcd, you really ought not to be belittling the stickmen! LOL.

Which tutorials are you using? Mark Crilley?

A

ArtsyDrawer

Nov 8, 2018
I keep forgetting to post here.
It evidently doesn't work as well as I hoped it would anyway, but still, my next batch is gonna be here.

@Cathy Ames this guy

Last edited: