• Welcome to SanctionedSuicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness and suicide. Please read our rules and our Principles.
    If you are in need of immediate support, please call the Samaritans hotline at (877) 870-4673, or check our recovery resources.

  • If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
T

thebigpigman

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2021
Messages
59
Are they any drugs or medicines which I can take not to feel depressed or suicidal? Which will not make me feel mentally sick? Any recommendations?
 
  • Hugs
Reactions: whywere
AQUA

AQUA

Headstone
Joined
Dec 2, 2020
Messages
209
I think just about all of them are a deep and slippery slope into addiction/dependency.

Once people acquire something to push against the depression, they understandably utilize every flake of it to lily pad or push tf away from the danger. This approach of putting things/space between you and it would have worked for the predatory animal we evolved to avoid, but not the unsedatable brutes in our psyche we wish to hush.

Consider it a loudmouthed bug, you'd undoubtably notice a bug screaming its bean off in a quiet room, but you'd never notice it in a public area, because it's camouflaged into every other surrounding noise.

So... my advice is, instead of pacifying your soul with drugs, try enriching it with trips into places you've never been before,
new sensations dull already existing once :happy:
 
Last edited:
T

thebigpigman

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2021
Messages
59
AQUA said:
I think just about all of them are a deep and slippery slope into addiction/dependency.

Once people acquire something to push against the depression, they understandably utilize every flake of it to lily pad or push tf away from the danger. This approach of putting things/space between you and it would have worked for the predatory animal we evolved to avoid, but not the unsedatable brutes in our psyche we wish to hush.

Consider it a loudmouthed bug, you'd undoubtably notice a bug screaming its bean off in a quiet room, but you'd never notice it in a public area, because it's camouflaged into every other surrounding noise.

So... my advice is, instead of pacifying your soul with drugs, try enriching it with trips into places you've never been before,
new sensations dull already existing once :happy:
Hmm that's good.

Anyways I will be ctb. Not interested in living anymore.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AQUA and Neurodoom
bobmorane

bobmorane

wizard
Joined
Apr 20, 2021
Messages
104
Lithium does a good job at keeping suicidal thoughts at bay. It worked on me 4 weeks and then the ideas came back. You ought to give it a shot.
 
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Joined
Sep 4, 2019
Messages
5,892
I second Lithium. It usually quiets my ctb thoughts to an extent, though make sure to get blood tested while taking it
 
Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Joined
Jun 28, 2021
Messages
1,179
I was grossly misdiagnosed and took Lithium. It didn't do shit. If you don't have a diagnosis getting Lithium is impossible. It's really pointless.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LetmeCTB566
E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Joined
Jul 5, 2020
Messages
406
It depends what causes your depression and the symptoms you experience. Lithium has been recommended but afaik you can only really get it if you have bipolar disorder. Mood stabilizers can help too if you have problems with mood regulation.

For any mental illness involving depression, a psychiatrist will recommend SSRIs first and foremost. They work for some people but not for others.

For anxiety, you can try benzos (be careful) or MAOIs which I hear are amazing for social anxiety in particular.

As for recreational drugs, each one has a very different effect and people respond differently to them. Some people love smoking weed and feel that it helps with anxiety, while others become very paranoid when they take it. some people like stims, sedatives, psychedelics, etc... but in general if you have suicidal depression it's not a very good idea to try recreational substances

Also it's worth noting that a lot of people do best on a combination of meds and good therapy -- emphasis on the good, not every therapisy is qualified or able to build a rapport with you. Have you ever sought professional help??
 
Last edited:
again_noidea

again_noidea

Student
Joined
Apr 22, 2021
Messages
110
thebigpigman said:
Are they any drugs or medicines which I can take not to feel depressed or suicidal? Which will not make me feel mentally sick? Any recommendations?
mdma, read about it on erowid.org or watch a yt documentary about mdma therapy. only take it if you have a friend or a partner or a therapist with you, because taking it alone is shitty, you need someone to connect with. of course, everything depends. do some research.
 
again_noidea

again_noidea

Student
Joined
Apr 22, 2021
Messages
110
everydayiloveyou said:
but in general if you have suicidal depression it's not a very good idea to try recreational substances
There are lots of study who show that they can have a very positive effect on depressed people - under the right circumstances.
 
E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Joined
Jul 5, 2020
Messages
406
again_noidea said:
There are lots of study who show that they can have a very positive effect on depressed people - under the right circumstances.
Sorry I meant recreation as in you are taking them on your own, buying them online/at the street, and without medical supervision.

I know there are studies showing weed, ketamine, sedatives, microdosing, etc... work great on some mental illness but it's a slippery slope in some cases... and usually the reported positive effects are anecdotal (so not scientific or evidence-based enough cures or treatments) or done under medical supervision which may not be available to most people (such as ketamine infusions which may be illegal or prohibitively expensive in some areas). Also having the right forms of these drugs is important, if you don't test your drugs or have the right potentcy then problems can happen or it might be like it doesn't actually work when it does.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LetmeCTB566
again_noidea

again_noidea

Student
Joined
Apr 22, 2021
Messages
110
everydayiloveyou said:
Sorry I meant recreation as in you are taking them on your own, buying them online/at the street, and without medical supervision.

I know there are studies showing weed, ketamine, sedatives, microdosing, etc... work great on some mental illness but it's a slippery slope in some cases... and usually the reported positive effects are anecdotal (so not scientific or evidence-based enough cures or treatments) or done under medical supervision which may not be available to most people (such as ketamine infusions which may be illegal or prohibitively expensive in some areas). Also having the right forms of these drugs is important, if you don't test your drugs or have the right potentcy then problems can happen or it might be like it doesn't actually work when it does.
it is a slippery slope, however, there are lots of medical trials going on. maps https://maps.org/ is one big organization who does them and another one is the jon hopkins center for psychedelic research. I heard that you have lots of underground therapists who do this kind of work, especially in the usa. You can do it even legally in switzerland, if you are lucky.
 
  • Like
Reactions: everydayiloveyou
E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Joined
Jul 5, 2020
Messages
406
again_noidea said:
it is a slippery slope, however, there are lots of medical trials going on. maps https://maps.org/ is one big organization who does them and another one is the jon hopkins center for psychedelic research. I heard that you have lots of underground therapists who do this kind of work, especially in the usa. You can do it even legally in switzerland, if you are lucky.
oh wow i wasn't aware of this! If meds dont work for me i will definitely try a trial of traditionally recreational drugs
 
C

callme

Experienced
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Messages
215
again_noidea said:
it is a slippery slope, however, there are lots of medical trials going on. maps https://maps.org/ is one big organization who does them and another one is the jon hopkins center for psychedelic research. I heard that you have lots of underground therapists who do this kind of work, especially in the usa. You can do it even legally in switzerland, if you are lucky.
So in reality, unless you are a well-off in a privileged country you are screwed. At least ctb won't be for nothing then.
 
again_noidea

again_noidea

Student
Joined
Apr 22, 2021
Messages
110
callme said:
So in reality, unless you are a well-off in a privileged country you are screwed. At least ctb won't be for nothing then.
it is very hard to do anything at all when you are depressed. However, we life in a time of unprecedented opportunity, at least in regard to global exchange of ideas and goods. If someone is interested and not too depressed, he can educate himself / herself and try some things. If you are going to ctb anyway, why not risk something. For example, most of africa is very poor, still you can find iboga and a shaman there probably easier than in most rich western countries where iboga is illegal and there is no tradition of working with that substance, the same goes for ayahuasca, mescalin and psilocybin in South America. Of course, it always depends on the circumstances of each individual, life can be very difficult and sometimes ctb is the only thing we can do, at least it seems that way.
 
C

callme

Experienced
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Messages
215
again_noidea said:
it is very hard to do anything at all when you are depressed. However, we life in a time of unprecedented opportunity, at least in regard to global exchange of ideas and goods. If someone is interested and not too depressed, he can educate himself / herself and try some things. If you are going to ctb anyway, why not risk something. For example, most of africa is very poor, still you can find iboga and a shaman there probably easier than in most rich western countries where iboga is illegal and there is no tradition of working with that substance, the same goes for ayahuasca, mescalin and psilocybin in South America. Of course, it always depends on the circumstances of each individual, life can be very difficult and sometimes ctb is the only thing we can do, at least it seems that way.
Mostly ridiculous.

Not too depressed as in how unironically the medical profession views us? Vulnerable and useless ye know, unless you're not royally screwed so you can be shaken like a money tree. But if you are that worse off, then "it' your own fault".

Second, don't dismiss what happens in those countries. Just because they are associated with all this esoteric stuff means nothing. In Africa you can get gang raped and killed for those esoteric stuff in the wrong place. Psilocibyn and ayahuasca, seriously? Why didn't venezuelans use that instead of migraring to Colombia and the US when their country collapsed financially?
And hkw do you know that because they are dirt cheap people have a use for them? First that part of culture might be ridiculed. Even if if's a native tradition.

The fact you think there is anything to be done at all when depressed looks ridiculous. Nothing to live for in this world if you don't have money. Only in a comfortable middle class life anywhere in whatever country period does it matter less and only after a time. Realising there's more to life at 40 or 50 doesn't change the fact somebody was more privileged when it matters (in their 20's or 30's).

Life in poverty even when unprecedented opportunities exist doesn't mean the people who need them the most will have them. AT ALL. Education doesn't work if you are not well educated already, or don't have any abilities or don't have common sense. I am speaking first hand because I am all three.

"Learn something" is an empty thing, Learn coding? Without higher education? Useless. Everybody can learn coding the popular argument is. Yeah but how about a good programmer? Not many can be, and that is what is needed to even have a chance at a job today. Learn business? Useless without an MBA from a top university. Learn anything is useless if you are not financially well off because the present day person loves overpicing EVERYTHING and people love mindless shopping in general. Sedond and especially true, it is useless if you aren't smart. It's obvious what that means in academic terms - grade skipping, excellent memory from a young age etc.

Why not risk something? Because what you will be risking is time and money. Two things even a suicidal poor person wouldn't want to lose. Do you imagine a person who has lost their money and now has only jumping or self-immolation as their way out?

You are misunderstanding how tragic life in poverty is big time. The backwards culture and total, absolute, chronical lack of opportunities of every sort, plus the failure of everybody's beloved "state" is a tragic thing to see. Well I do enjoy seeing nationalism, cronyism, kleptocracy and corruption fail so I enjoy my country dying, but I hate the people here. But states like this, what we have here in E. Europe and some in Africa are inescapable because of the aforementioned.

I know you mean well, but you must be in the west somewhere, so there's no way to ever understand what countries in the rest of the world go through, at least culturally. Indeed what you said is a reasonable move for most people there. Most.

Well, if ctb looks to be the only thing there is, time and time again, it turns out it is.
 
  • Love
Reactions: TriggerHappy
again_noidea

again_noidea

Student
Joined
Apr 22, 2021
Messages
110
callme said:
Mostly ridiculous.

Not too depressed as in how unironically the medical profession views us? Vulnerable and useless ye know, unless you're not royally screwed so you can be shaken like a money tree. But if you are that worse off, then "it' your own fault".

Second, don't dismiss what happens in those countries. Just because they are associated with all this esoteric stuff means nothing. In Africa you can get gang raped and killed for those esoteric stuff in the wrong place. Psilocibyn and ayahuasca, seriously? Why didn't venezuelans use that instead of migraring to Colombia and the US when their country collapsed financially?
And hkw do you know that because they are dirt cheap people have a use for them? First that part of culture might be ridiculed. Even if if's a native tradition.

The fact you think there is anything to be done at all when depressed looks ridiculous. Nothing to live for in this world if you don't have money. Only in a comfortable middle class life anywhere in whatever country period does it matter less and only after a time. Realising there's more to life at 40 or 50 doesn't change the fact somebody was more privileged when it matters (in their 20's or 30's).

Life in poverty even when unprecedented opportunities exist doesn't mean the people who need them the most will have them. AT ALL. Education doesn't work if you are not well educated already, or don't have any abilities or don't have common sense. I am speaking first hand because I am all three.

"Learn something" is an empty thing, Learn coding? Without higher education? Useless. Everybody can learn coding the popular argument is. Yeah but how about a good programmer? Not many can be, and that is what is needed to even have a chance at a job today. Learn business? Useless without an MBA from a top university. Learn anything is useless if you are not financially well off because the present day person loves overpicing EVERYTHING and people love mindless shopping in general. Sedond and especially true, it is useless if you aren't smart. It's obvious what that means in academic terms - grade skipping, excellent memory from a young age etc.

Why not risk something? Because what you will be risking is time and money. Two things even a suicidal poor person wouldn't want to lose. Do you imagine a person who has lost their money and now has only jumping or self-immolation as their way out?

You are misunderstanding how tragic life in poverty is big time. The backwards culture and total, absolute, chronical lack of opportunities of every sort, plus the failure of everybody's beloved "state" is a tragic thing to see. Well I do enjoy seeing nationalism, cronyism, kleptocracy and corruption fail so I enjoy my country dying, but I hate the people here. But states like this, what we have here in E. Europe and some in Africa are inescapable because of the aforementioned.

I know you mean well, but you must be in the west somewhere, so there's no way to ever understand what countries in the rest of the world go through, at least culturally. Indeed what you said is a reasonable move for most people there. Most.

Well, if ctb looks to be the only thing there is, time and time again, it turns out it is.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but i wrote from a different viewpoint. I don't know where you living but i'm there are also very depressed people in the middle class and in the higher classes. Depression and deep sadness about the world is not reserved for the poor. So for the middle and higher classes it is an option. And for the poor it is also often a good way of finding peace with their situation, for example you have this ayahuasca church in Brazil, lots of poor people are there, and they seem alright to me. Of course, you are seen as a living ATM for a lot of people when you are sick, lots of people wants to make money with you. And with opportunity, i meant the possibility of having information. you can download almost all books for no money, and you can inform yourself about the techniques. I'm just making the argument, that you can try these substances even when you are not in the west, of course it will be most opportune for the middle class. I can see your arguments, but in the last few years i realized that life depends very much on the individual circumstances of a person. i can only say what i know in the hopes that someone can use this information to better their life or the life of somebody else. I know that i don't know any universal truth about anything. I just know that lots of people found something meaningful in these substances, and that is worth something to me. By the way, did you every something like that?
 
W

whywere

Enlightened
Joined
Jun 26, 2020
Messages
1,319
Loved the question! Your question is a mystery that even with medical know how, may never be able to be solved. Case in point, when a mental health doctor , the first time I saw them, I was put on Zoloft as it worked for so many folks. Well in my case if I had stayed on it I would have CTB. I was switched to Celexa and have been on it for around 8 years or so.

Not only is everyone unique upon themselves BUT every one's brain is also very unique, as the "soup of chemicals" that help to run one's brain, in my view point, can be so very different from one person to the next. Now throw in the fact of aging and other factors as one moves through life and bingo, it is the ultimate mystery as far as what works, does not..etc.

I truly wish and hope that you find what works great for you and have a great upcoming weekend.

Walter
 
  • Love
Reactions: TriggerHappy
C

callme

Experienced
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Messages
215
again_noidea said:
I agree with most of what you are saying, but i wrote from a different viewpoint. I don't know where you living but i'm there are also very depressed people in the middle class and in the higher classes. Depression and deep sadness about the world is not reserved for the poor. So for the middle and higher classes it is an option. And for the poor it is also often a good way of finding peace with their situation, for example you have this ayahuasca church in Brazil, lots of poor people are there, and they seem alright to me. Of course, you are seen as a living ATM for a lot of people when you are sick, lots of people wants to make money with you. And with opportunity, i meant the possibility of having information. you can download almost all books for no money, and you can inform yourself about the techniques. I'm just making the argument, that you can try these substances even when you are not in the west, of course it will be most opportune for the middle class. I can see your arguments, but in the last few years i realized that life depends very much on the individual circumstances of a person. i can only say what i know in the hopes that someone can use this information to better their life or the life of somebody else. I know that i don't know any universal truth about anything. I just know that lots of people found something meaningful in these substances, and that is worth something to me. By the way, did you every something like that?
Well, the middle class has lots of things to give the peace, that the poor will never have. Information without a way to use it is useless. It takes being smart. Poor, stupid and no connections means life never begins.

As for this ayahuasca church for example. I live half a world away, so first I'd need to spend every single cent I've ever had without a way to come back, trapped. No qualities and being constantly depressed without anybody realizing it, means no friends to go with, no money. Plus portuguese is not an easy language to learn. You'd not get anything out of it without knowing the language, and that's expensive. I've considered going there to ctb.
 
again_noidea

again_noidea

Student
Joined
Apr 22, 2021
Messages
110
callme said:
Well, the middle class has lots of things to give the peace, that the poor will never have. Information without a way to use it is useless. It takes being smart. Poor, stupid and no connections means life never begins.

As for this ayahuasca church for example. I live half a world away, so first I'd need to spend every single cent I've ever had without a way to come back, trapped. No qualities and being constantly depressed without anybody realizing it, means no friends to go with, no money. Plus portuguese is not an easy language to learn. You'd not get anything out of it without knowing the language, and that's expensive. I've considered going there to ctb.
I understand. Good luck to you.
 
C

callme

Experienced
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Messages
215
again_noidea said:
I understand. Good luck to you.
Well okay then. Luck doesn't work for when somebody is doomed but anyway.
 
again_noidea

again_noidea

Student
Joined
Apr 22, 2021
Messages
110
callme said:
Well okay then. Luck doesn't work for when somebody is doomed but anyway.
you know that a lot of things can go wrong when you ctb. So even in that situation, luck is something nice to have.
 
C

callme

Experienced
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Messages
215
again_noidea said:
you know that a lot of things can go wrong when you ctb. So even in that situation, luck is something nice to have.
Why do you think it's present? Luck doesn't depend on anybody and some people never have any.
 
TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Inthe kingdom ofthe blind; the one-eyed are kings
Joined
Jan 24, 2021
Messages
733
again_noidea said:
...If you are going to ctb anyway, why not risk something.
Is this a platitude? Or are u serious?
In many practices, Risk does not necessarily bring Reward. I live that truth.

On many psychoactive substances, I know I dare I will I keep silent, but
I apologise, I'm just concerned by your following comments and the thinking behind them::

""where iboga is illegal and there is no tradition of working with that substance,"

Ibogaine?! Really - have you done it?
Its legal, and there are loads of retreats offering it.
I have, with a nyanga drumming circle to figure out some stuff and understand my clairvoyant gifts. Awesome, If youre prepared.
I've seen many fuckout & literally disintegrate into convulsions cos they have no idea of the prep involved.
You should be more responsible with the advice you give. Its insanely ego-destroying stuff, and raise your kundalini with no protection will bring schizophrenic episodes.
not recommended for dissociates.
No tradition? No guide to archetypes you access through the journey?
Like all occult arts, there most certainly is.
The rest I've also done (no junky pride here, just concern for someone willing / desperate to access shadowplay and the dangers therein. To their mental vs spiritual stability.
""the same goes for ayahuasca, mescalin and psilocybin""
Agreed
Of course, it always depends on the circumstances of each individual....
:: All power to you if you're a psychonaut, but many arent.
They changed my existence, seeing beyond. No one will understand, but I'm cautious to casually advise such powers.
Rather stick to western meds if its maintenance and spiritual sleep u after.
 
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: whywere
again_noidea

again_noidea

Student
Joined
Apr 22, 2021
Messages
110
when you want to ctb.... well you are not in kansas anymore. everyone has the internet to do their own research. i think when you are ready to die then all bets are off.
 
C

callme

Experienced
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Messages
215
Yes but research is full of conflicting opinions, many things that can go wrong. RC's are notable for it. And if you are not in good physical and especially cardiovascular shape you can't do anything. You just read how others get at least a distraction but you don't because of high blood pressure.
 
Celerity

Celerity

Living life at a crossroads, always
Joined
Jan 24, 2021
Messages
1,608
I have had very positive experiences with an atypical antipsychotic, Seroquel/Quetiapine. While benzodiazepines can dull the impact of negative thoughts, I have found them to be completely ineffective if I am already in a rumination spiral. Seroquel, on the other hand, seemed to assist me in disentangling my ruminations; I could more clearly see them as illogical in the way mindfulness and CBT therapists have said I should be able to do without drugs. [CBT had never fulfilled that promise for me. Meditation, unassisted by drugs, occasionally has.]

However, the physical risks antipsychotics poses to your brain and the rest of your body are quite steep. Also, if you have no experience taking sedative drugs, the “hit” when it comes could be startling, and the hangover period is much longer compared to benzos and Ambien (a hypnotic). Do I feel “like a zombie” as many reviews say the morning after? Not quite, but I can see how someone would describe the effect that way. For me, this deadening of my emotions and reactivity is worth it and even enjoyable on its own merits.

As I have explained elsewhere though, this feeling does not last and has not cured me. Since the side effects of Seroquel could ruin my life even beyond the low point it’s at, I cannot take it long-term. I don’t hold out hope that any medication will fix me anymore, and I don’t think anybody should.
 
Last edited: