• Welcome to SanctionedSuicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness and suicide. Please read our rules and our Principles.
    If you are in need of immediate support, please call the Samaritans hotline at (877) 870-4673, or check our recovery resources.

• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
NamelessBeing

NamelessBeing

Feeling passionate about music again but I feel I need to catch and hang onto this before it slips away. As a teenager I'd spend 5+ hours a day on guitar for several years doing that. Hadn't been playing during this last depression. But I want to be passionate about composing, playing, recording music again. Maybe it can save my life maybe it can't who knows but I do know that without it I don't even feel like I know who the fuck I am. I think it's what I need to be doing. I'll teach anyone online for free everything I know about music theory and composing is anyone wants to learn. I was giving guitar/music lessons for a bit before my mental health took one of its nosedives.

Cherry Crumpet

Cherry Crumpet

Hiraeth
I feel this way about art and drawing. I wish I could say more ... I suck at trying to comfort people.

Hey... so for you you're passionate about guitars and composing/etc music. What if you set a small goal? Like, do one music related thing a day and work your way up from that?

Um.. another idea. I'm passionate about art and drawing, and you are passionate about music.... but we're both depressed and find it really hard to do these things. We could be like, accountability buddies or something? I can send you a sketch every few days.. and in return you could send me a recording of a little song. it doesn't have to be one that you wrote.. it can be any song you like.

Or we could make a thread. I know there's already an art thread on here.

That kind of sounds overwhelming though too.. lol.. maybe we could try it one time and see if it helps?

MindFog

MindFog

I'm not even having a good time
Cherry Crumpet said:
What if you set a small goal? Like, do one music related thing a day

I agree with this. It's so easy to get overwhelmed especially when it's a passion of yours. Try not to get burnt out. Maybe dip your toes first before jumping in, yah?

And don't forget to go easy on yourself. Don't be dissapointed if you hit a learning curve. It might be quite a while since you last did this, afterall.

There's alot of music junkies in SS. I'm pretty sure they'll enjoy talking with you about it too.

Proud of you already.

Reactions: Weary Soul
Pookie

Pookie

Somebody you used to know.
Great that you want to start playing music again. Would it be difficult to get back into giving guitar and music lessons? I think it’s a great idea. Is there anywhere you can advertise your services? I’m sure you’ll get a lot of interest if you initially offer it for free and then later you can start charging for it once word of mouth gets around (because obviously everyone needs to make a living, unless you already make a living doing something else.)

Failing that you can always offer to play music at children’s weddings. :haha:

Last edited:
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Music junkie here : )

Music has always been a passion of mine (~10 years of piano lessons, ~2 years of guitar, other C instrument that I learned by ear, and also had very basic music theory). Funny thing is, I took all of those years of lessons, but still tend to play by ear and put my own spin on songs.

I don't know if it is the same for you, but when I was a child, music was my way to express my pain without anyone in my abusive environment realizing - and wow, did I pound out some classical music that was supposed to be staid and soft in tone - used to give my teachers fits cause I was not 'drawing within the lines' so to speak : )

It was also a great way to get out of my head and lost in 'another realm.' You sound pretty talented from what you wrote. Sounds like you have a unique gift in that you can compose original songs - I wish I could create music like that - it would be nice to create my own unique realm for a brief respite from life.

Couple of ideas:

Guided meditation/hypnosis. I don't know if you believe in these types of things but I have personally found them helpful (and I am always a bit of a cynic/skeptic). You can find a lot of these on YouTube (there are all sorts of videos for guided meditation/hypnosis - many of which you can listen to as you sleep and some of which include suggestions to help with motivation or other things someone might need help with).

Another idea? Maybe start a YouTube channel to teach some of what you know and to upload your music. You can make it public if you are comfortable with that or private (only for you and for those you choose to share it with).

If you want to start slow? Maybe start by holding the guitar, softly beating a rhythm on the body of the guitar or something else just to get a rhythm going in your head, tuning, strumming through chords for a bit, scales, etc.

Just some suggestions. <3

Reactions: Pookie
Pookie

Pookie

That’s a great idea from @Weary Soul: “Maybe start a YouTube channel to teach some of what you know and to upload your music. You can make it public if you are comfortable with that or private (only for you and for those you choose to share it with).

Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Thanks @Pookie : )

I actually created my own channel for this reason.

I started to create short videos with music. It has really helped me to get out of my head and I lose time with it - always a bonus for me. Mine are amateurish at best since I have no training in this - but it doesn't really matter if it helps escape from my head for a bit :)

<3

• Love
Reactions: Pookie
Pookie

Pookie

Weary Soul said:
Thanks @Pookie : )

I actually created my own channel for this reason.

I started to create short videos with music. It has really helped me to get out of my head and I lose time with it - always a bonus for me. Mine are amateurish at best since I have no training in this - but it doesn't really matter if it helps escape from my head for a bit :)

<3
Do you have a following at all or is it private?

Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
@Pookie, it is set to public, but I do not know of any following. One subscriber. :)

I have been pretty quiet about the channel - my most popular video has close to 400 views, and I started this ~6 months ago just drawing or taking photos/free graphic art and then animating it and adding music (very, very basic).

@NamelessBeing, if you do decide to create a YouTube channel, don't click on links in any comments you might receive. Some insert malware links in comments. Also, make sure to protect your identity if that is important to you.

While I am likely getting way ahead of myself here (and where you might be right now - not to mention that you may already know all of what I am about to write), some other things you can do to promote your offer of free lessons to a wider audience is to create that YouTube channel and then add to it by creating a blog/podcast using WordPress (checkout reverbnation there if interested - it is a blog site that offers a lot of incentives for composers). You can also create a marketplace on FB where you can offer free lessons. All of these accounts can be linked. (There are additional ways to promote your offer using social media ... but I will stop there... and my apologies if I am repeating anything you already know!).

For the actual lessons (either to individuals or a group), you can create your own server in discord (a 3rd-party provider) and use their free audio/video feature (and it is free both internationally and domestically). Within discord, you can also upload videos you have made or link them (from your YouTube channel) and still maintain/protect your anonymity if that is important to you.

I have no doubts that if you do all of this, you may well be overwhelmed by how many people take you up on your offer for free lessons. I would if I could. It has long been a dream of mine to pick up guitar again and play the classical music I have already learned via piano. I would also love to learn traditional Flamenco Spanish music on guitar. In the movie Crossroads, Ralph Macchio played Turkish Rondo (or alla turca) and I was hooked! Also, that final scene in crossroads where they battle it out with electric guitars? Some beautiful music there. : )

Most importantly, please go at a pace that is good, healthy, and comfortable for you! I learned all of this little-by-little over about a year and I am old enough to have an original Nintendo game (the original Mario brothers and duck hunt)! So if I can do it, anyone can : )

I am sorry if this is overwhelming to you right now @NamelessBeing... little steps at first if needed and just some potentials that you might be interested in.

Come to think of it, Mat (@WornOutLife), who is so supportive of everyone here, is also a teacher and, by his writings here, it sounds as though he really loves his job. He could likely offer the same thing if this is something he might be interested in (world-wide teaching and tutoring).
Heya Mat sorry to speak of you with someone else - I just thought that this is something you might also like to do or might be interested in.

Much love to all of you!!!

Thanks again @Pookie : )

• Love
Reactions: WornOutLife
WornOutLife

WornOutLife

マット
Hello, Eren-kun.

OMG! You make music? I love you even more now!!
I have always wanted to learn to play any music instrument but I just suck haha.

You should keep on going!! There are lots of possibilities out there and I think music will really help you to move on because it's something you like. In my case, it's learning languages.

Hobbies are just...amazing!

Hugs and love,

Matt