• Welcome! SanctionedSuicide is a forum for the discussion of mental illness and suicide. Please read our rules and our Principles.
    If you are in need of immediate support, please call the Samaritans hotline at (877) 870-4673, or check our recovery resources.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

Waiting for the bus...
May 20, 2018
I've been miserable for 15 years and nothing seems to make any difference. I'm not really capable of doing much, but there are still meds I haven't tried. I've only tried SSRIs which I did not like, and benzos, which I do like but use sparingly. My therapist, who I like, referred me to a psychiatrist, and I'm finally considering it. Since I am unlikely to ctb any time soon, maybe there's something that could make it a little easier to be alive. I am under no illusion that there will be any magic cure.

Pros:
  • could alleviate suffering
  • could give me more energy, open up opportunities
  • exhausting all options
Cons:
  • unpleasant trial and error process if the first thing doesn't work
  • potential side FX
  • potential withdrawal FX
  • $$ (though worth it if it helps)
Thoughts?

• Hugs
Reactions: Sherri
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I’m sorry for you going through a hard time, when I saw my final shrink after seeing so many I told him your exact words is it gonna work or are we gonna fool ourselves again. I don’t know what brands you took, but mine helped me I would say 60%. I was lying most days in bed at my worst staring at the ceiling with the tv on, personally speaking I would give it a try.

Reactions: NumbItAll
righttochoosevoice

righttochoosevoice

Trying to Be with what is
Dec 14, 2021
I second that, give it a try. I am a therapist myself and struggle greatly with depression. I am on and off Wellbutrin XL 150... sometimes I go up to 300mg if, like now, i'm in a particularly dark winter on top of work burnout and covid isolation. I find it helps enough to get me through. But if you tend more towards anxiety, then Wellbutrin may not be for you. It has a stimulating effect (at first).

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

Waiting for the bus...
May 20, 2018
I second that, give it a try. I am a therapist myself and struggle greatly with depression. I am on and off Wellbutrin XL 150... sometimes I go up to 300mg if, like now, i'm in a particularly dark winter on top of work burnout and covid isolation. I find it helps enough to get me through. But if you tend more towards anxiety, then Wellbutrin may not be for you. It has a stimulating effect (at first).
That is actually what my therapist suggested. It is scary to try something new but I don't really have any other options.

righttochoosevoice

righttochoosevoice

Trying to Be with what is
Dec 14, 2021
That is actually what my therapist suggested. It is scary to try something new but I don't really have any other options.
I understand the fear. I am always afraid to try a new med... If I can offer any assurance... a doctor friend of mine put it to me this way - Wellbutrin is the easiest medication to get off of... in her opinion it is the cleanest psychotropic out there. I have found that to be true for me. I have tried most meds, but that one is the most enjoyable - IF it works for you - but again, if you are prone to anxiety or if it doesn't work for you... there are a lot of other choices..

Reactions: NumbItAll