• Welcome! SanctionedSuicide is a forum for the discussion of mental illness and suicide. Please read our rules and our Principles.
    If you are in need of immediate support, please call the Samaritans hotline at (877) 870-4673, or check our recovery resources.

O

oktnn50md

Member
Oct 21, 2020
58
They were quickly brought to the hospital but still that is not encouraging.

Surviving a massive sodium azide poisoning with toxic cardiomyopathy. Int Cardiovascular Forum J. 2015;4:90–91.

Sodium azide is a highly toxic chemical agent, which effects are similar to cyanide, and its ingestion is almost constantly fatal when the dose is above 1g. We report the case of a 69-year-old woman who survived a massive sodium azide poisoning with an unsual clinical course and outcome. It caused severe toxic cardiomyopathy presenting like a silent myocardial infaction with systolic and diastolic impairment that lasted one month. There is no antidote. We present a review of the literature about this rare poisoning, its mechanisms and discuss treatment options.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MorsVoluntaria
91Days

91Days

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
Oct 14, 2021
112
They were quickly brought to the hospital but still that is not encouraging.

Surviving a massive sodium azide poisoning with toxic cardiomyopathy. Int Cardiovascular Forum J. 2015;4:90–91.

Sodium azide is a highly toxic chemical agent, which effects are similar to cyanide, and its ingestion is almost constantly fatal when the dose is above 1g. We report the case of a 69-year-old woman who survived a massive sodium azide poisoning with an unsual clinical course and outcome. It caused severe toxic cardiomyopathy presenting like a silent myocardial infaction with systolic and diastolic impairment that lasted one month. There is no antidote. We present a review of the literature about this rare poisoning, its mechanisms and discuss treatment options.
There's an antidote for sodium nitrite. This is why no one talks about sodium azide
 
P

PassingThrough

Member
Nov 15, 2021
56
This thread is a month old but I'd like to point out a few things.

The only possible explanation I can see as to why this person survived is that she vomitted several times right after taking the SA. So probably only a small amount of the 15gr she took was absorbed by her body.

Vomiting with SA seems to be rare but there are a few documented cases where it happened. My impression is that it usually happens a significant amount of time after the ingestion so it doesn't make much difference - enough SA gets absorbed by the body at that point. But in this case the woman vomitted right after taking the SA.

In this case I think it could have been avoided by:
1) Taking an antiemetic beforehand, which she didn't, and
2) Not taking the SA as powder, like she did, but dissolving it in water first and then drinking the solution. After all, that's what you're supposed to do... I don't know the science behind it but I'm guessing that drinking a solution is less irritating to the esophagus, is less likely to induce vomiting, gets absorbed more quickly and effectively by the body, etc. None of the guides about SA, SN and similar methods recommend taking the substance as powder.