• Welcome! SanctionedSuicide is a forum for the discussion of mental illness and suicide. Please read our rules and our Principles.
    If you are in need of immediate support, please call the Samaritans hotline at (877) 870-4673, or check our recovery resources.

PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
Just wondering if anyone has any movies based on suicide they want to share?

I will start of course with "Wristcutters".

Now the plot seems horrible to me you off yourself and come back... except everything is a little worse and you cannot smile or anything. I dont believe this happens but what if it did? Fucked forever!

Luke

Luke

tired
Apr 11, 2018
The Discovery..

Proof of an Afterlife Creates a Suicide Problem in 'The Discovery'. It'll make you want to kill yourself or at least ponder life after death.

There was a thread yesterday somewhere about what would happen in this exact scenario.

Edit : eng is hard lol

Last edited:
Reactions: PatKat
icky

icky

Jun 14, 2018
The 2006 documentary The Bridge is up on Youtube in its entirety. It can be a cathartic watch but it does feature ample footage of people jumping off of the Golden Gate Bridge. I just averted my eyes for those moments as I'm not into the whole /r/watchpeopledie scene, aside from reading the posts.

:notsure:

PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
Girl, Interrupted is one of my personal favorites. It centers around a woman being sent to the psych ward after attempting to kill herself.
I forgot about that one! I love that movie also.

M

mwu14

Apr 21, 2018
Julian Po. Haven't seen it in years, but from what I remember, a guy (Christian Slater) arrives at a small town and wants a room because he plans to kill himself. Then when the townspeople find out what he plans to do, they start treating him like a celebrity and giving him free stuff. Kind of a light-hearted take on suicide but also very accurate and without a hollywood ending.

Last edited:
harakiri-enthusiast

harakiri-enthusiast

Jul 20, 2018
Leaving Las Vegas is a really good movie about this.

Also Ikiru, now this one isn't really about suicide, but it's about a man about to die and he knows it, so he tries to do something worthwhile before he goes. Also a really good movie.

M

Mecha Man

Experienced
Jul 16, 2018
The Invitation. I thought this was a good and thought provoking movie. It doesn't exactly paint suicide in a positive light, but it does pose some interesting questions.

Edit: Oh, and I've never seen it, but I'm pretty sure "The Virgin Suicides" is about some girls that ultimately commit suicide because of an overly religious family or something. I know it's got some good actors in it, at least.

Last edited: