• Welcome! SanctionedSuicide is a forum for the discussion of mental illness and suicide. Please read our rules and our Principles.
    If you are in need of immediate support, please call the Samaritans hotline at (877) 870-4673, or check our recovery resources.

Luke

Luke

tired
Apr 11, 2018
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life is the second book by blogger and author Mark Manson.

The book is a reaction to the self-help industry and what Manson saw as a culture of mindless positivity that isn't practical or helpful for most people. Manson uses many of his own personal experiences to illustrate how life's struggles often give it more meaning, which, he argues, is a better approach than constantly trying to be happy.

Sounds good, here's the PDF: https://7sins.se/stuff/the.subtle.art.of.not.giving.a.fuck.pdf (virustotal 0/68)

Anyone else read it?

Reactions: Temporarilyabsurd
S

Sternum

Student
May 12, 2018
I haaate self help books. But they do improve lots of peoples lives if only to remind them that they like life. Of course, seems like if a person really likes life, they wouldn’t need to be reminded. On the other, we often believe what we say to ourselves, be it that life is great or life is horrible. It’s an argument for my spending more time in self-help books than on sanctionedsuicide. But, like a person hitting his head against a brick wall all day, I’m haven’t stopped coming here. I don’t know why I keep writing this post except that I have nothing else to do...

Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life is the second book by blogger and author Mark Manson.

The book is a reaction to the self-help industry and what Manson saw as a culture of mindless positivity that isn't practical or helpful for most people. Manson uses many of his own personal experiences to illustrate how life's struggles often give it more meaning, which, he argues, is a better approach than constantly trying to be happy.

Sounds good, here's the PDF: https://7sins.se/stuff/the.subtle.art.of.not.giving.a.fuck.pdf (virustotal 0/68)

Anyone else read it?

I'm a dirty little torrent criminal ... so I have listened to the audio book , flicked through the e-book.

Good stuff.

It includes a chapter about my guru , Ernest Becker , so I am biased .... :)

( Although , seriously , the TMT psychology referred to was a huge new angle for me ... hence my quote in my 'signiature' )

TMT seems to be at odds with ' get you functioning and back on the production line' attitude of the ' socially acceptable ' social / behavioral psycho helping narratives.

The book , my lasting impression , seems to say it is all in your own court .
The individual has ultimate responsibility for how they deal with their situation ... which is both intimidating and liberating .

I keep thinking about the phrase 'legitimate suffering' in relation to it .

Reactions: Luke
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Visionary
Mar 23, 2018
I haaate self help books. But they do improve lots of peoples lives if only to remind them that they like life. Of course, seems like if a person really likes life, they wouldn’t need to be reminded. On the other, we often believe what we say to ourselves, be it that life is great or life is horrible. It’s an argument for my spending more time in self-help books than on sanctionedsuicide. But, like a person hitting his head against a brick wall all day, I’m haven’t stopped coming here. I don’t know why I keep writing this post except that I have nothing else to do...

It improves the life of the author ;) They get rich from other peoples misery. :(