• Welcome to SanctionedSuicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness and suicide. Please read our rules and our Principles.
    If you are in need of immediate support, please call the Samaritans hotline at (877) 870-4673, or check our recovery resources.

Pookie

Pookie

Somebody you used to know.
Famous bands often have interesting stories behind what made them come up with their band names. In the same vein, I’ve seen many interesting/creative usernames on SS and was wondering what the thought process behind them were or events/movies/songs that inspired you to choose your username. Obviously suicide would be one such reason...

I’ll start: I was going through a hellish time and feeling incredibly ill with very high pain levels and would’ve done anything to escape the pain. My prescription painkillers weren’t working. So I was Googling different ctb methods and inevitably stumbled upon SS. I was desperate to join and couldn’t think clearly due to the pain, so I just chose a username that was the first word to pop into my head, which bizarrely happened to be the word “Pookie.” There was simply no thinking process behind it.

Now your turn. (Obviously don’t give away too many identifying/personal details as we all know this is a public forum.)

Solution
Pookie
JackTheStripper said:
I like to make others laugh I guess?^^"
Yup, you succeeded in that. :pfff:

PS: Some people here get angry/offended when people make the odd joke or are funny on a morbid “slit-your-wrists” type forum like SS, but I say to hell with them! I think it’s great that some people can still maintain their sharp wit despite their depression.

I often dealt with my depression by trying to see the absurdity of life, which in turn could make me laugh at times.

We all deal with our depression differently. Some of the most depressed people are actually the funniest people. Just look at Robin Williams…
S like suicide said:
My name starts with the...
SosoruzeDosukoi

SosoruzeDosukoi

Tired
I needed something that's not my usual username, and having just watched Dr.Stone and Hinomaru Sumo with a Japanese friend, we were saying sosoruze (exhilarating) and dosukoi (just a thing sumos say) to each other a lot when I was learning Japanese stuff from him, so I just used that. Nothing deep in the slightest, it just makes me smile.

Upvote 1
nopointofliving

nopointofliving

Warrior
NoPointOfLiving... It's my main reason for losing hope. There is no point in staying alive, my work doesn't really help, my values don't really add anything to the world, I don't matter... and I'm just living here like any other plant or animal. I don't see any point in living.

Upvote 1
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Living dead girl
My username is a piece of music by Dark Sanctuary called Funeral Cry. It has been my favourite song for years. The lyrics are about wanting to die. The singer wants death to set her free from the pain this life brings. It is how I feel.

Upvote 1
Pookie

Pookie

hotelbeneathground said:
Met him in a hotel
Met him in a hotel beneath ground

You were wild - where are you now?
You were wild - where are you now?

I have to learn to let you crash down
I have to learn to let you crash...

-- T. Amos
“Hotelbeneathground” also makes me think of a coffin deep underground. The type of “hotel” you go to to take the most peaceful and eternal dirt nap of your life.

Upvote 1
Mistake of Nature

Mistake of Nature

A shadow suspended on dust
"I am a mistake of nature, a mad beast." - Andrei Chikatilo

I'm an anomaly, an error, an aberration, something akin to Frankenstein's creature. There is something fundamentally wrong with me. I don't belong here and I should've never been brought into existence.

Upvote 1
Pookie

Pookie

Hepi said:
Hepi is the phonetic transcription of the word "Happy" in my native language.

Of course, this nickname is ironic, because I wouldn't call myself a happy person ;-)
I like it, reminds me of the pronunciation of “happy” in my home country.

Upvote 1
K

know_better_than

Mistake of Nature said:

I'm an anomaly, an error, an aberration, something akin to Frankenstein's creature. There is something fundamentally wrong with me. I don't belong here and I should've never been brought into existence.
My inclination is to feel bad that you're saying these things but I can't lie that I feel the same way.

Upvote 1
Pookie

Pookie

Mistake of Nature said:

I’ve read so much about Andrei Chikatilo and his boundless depravity. But Chikatilo was a prolific serial killer. How can you be as bad as him?

Last edited:
Upvote 1
amarillo

amarillo

When I first started learning Spanish, I simply liked the sound of the word "amarillo". I was already depressed back then. Learning Spanish eventually led to me moving to a Spanish speaking country, which I thought would either mean a new start for me or the deciding factor in my contemplation to ctb. Somehow, "amarillo" became the word that represented this situation. Spoiler alert: moving abroad didn't fix me (surprise surprise), so, albeit four years later, suicide has become the only remaining option.

Also, my username fits with my profile picture ("amarillo" means "yellow"), which is a painting by Van Gogh, who was from my country and also struggled with mental illness and ended up committing suicide.

Upvote 1
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
amarillo said:
When I first started learning Spanish, I simply liked the sound of the word "amarillo". I was already depressed back then. Learning Spanish eventually led to me moving to a Spanish speaking country, which I thought would either mean a new start for me or the deciding factor in my contemplation to ctb. Somehow, "amarillo" became the word that represented this situation. Spoiler alert: moving abroad didn't fix me (surprise surprise), so, albeit four years later, suicide has become the only remaining option.

Also, my username fits with my profile picture ("amarillo" means "yellow"), which is a painting by Van Gogh, who was from my country and also struggled with mental illness and ended up committing suicide.
Now the only thing left to do is to make your username yellow..

Upvote 1
Hidden Base

Hidden Base

Paragon
That's funny! Pookie is quite a funny name. Hidden Base is the name of one of the stages in the game Sonic Adventure 2 which was a game I spent countless hours time playing in my childhood, and relish the memories to this day (it also has a wicked soundtrack). My old username Manoban was referring to the kpop idol Lisa Manoban who I crushed on intensely (and still do!).

Upvote 1
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
The name came from my fav song by purity ring. the video for it is disturbing (showing ppl in traumatic situations where they react in a stoic manner) and the meaning behind the lyrics are even more disturbing (song about two kids who murder their abusive father). but the lyrics in general are pretty and so is the name. Which I'm guessing is a word which means laughing and crying combined in one word. Purity ring likes to make up song titles by combining words.

Header title is obedear which means 'oh but dear'.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
quiet.rabbit

quiet.rabbit

:(
amarillo said:

When I lived in Spain and I was learning English I really liked the word yellow. One of my childhood memories is just of me jumping around a sofa just shouting that word.
amarillo said:
You can do that?? How did I not know about this
Go to Settings and click the Your Account menu, then Account details.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
amarillo

amarillo

quiet.rabbit said:
When I lived in Spain and I was learning English I really liked the word yellow. One of my childhood memories is just of me jumping around a sofa just shouting that word.

Go to Settings and click the Your Account menu, then Account details.
Now that you mention it, yellow is kind of a nice word as well. How funny that we had a similar experience with the same word in two different languages.

I found the setting, thanks! All should be yellow now :)

Upvote 1