N

noname223

Visionary
Aug 18, 2020
I wish I had more knowledge. I might could tell you 15 US-presidents if you asked me. I rather have the goal to keep all German chancellors in my mind in the right sequence.

I don't know. My favorite one might be FDR. Franklin D. Rossevelt. He expanded the welfare state (New Deal) and he fought the Nazis.

The worst one: there are many I could name. Difficult to pick the worst. I mean some were in favor of segregation and slavery. But maybe the time in which they lived is an excuse for that.
I like what Noam Chomsky said:

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged. By violation of the Nuremberg laws I mean the same kind of crimes for which people were hanged in Nuremberg"

Here some arguments which I found after a short research:

In the talk from 1990 he explains it:

• Truman for the atomic bomb (deliberate targeting of civilians as mass murder), plus counter-insurgency work in Greece
  • Eisenhower for role of CIA in the overthrow of the Arbentz government in Guatemala, maybe also intervention in Lebanon and role of CIA in Iran
  • Kennedy for Bay of Pigs invasion ("outright aggression"), Operation Mongoose, and Vietnam
  • Johnson for Vietnam escalation
  • Nixon for Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos
  • Ford he acknowledges as tricky but his support of Indonesian invasion of East Timor ("near genocidal")
  • Carter as "least violent" but supported Indonesian government despite atrocities
  • Reagan for "the stuff in Central America," support of Israeli invasion of Lebanon
  • Bush (Sr.) — doesn't say anything specific, seems to think it is obvious (probably would involve Gulf War)

Reactions: Chinchilla
27clubBRIAN

27clubBRIAN

im a mk ultra victim
Jul 27, 2022
I used to really like Obama because he was a 420 blazer but someone told me he was like a war criminal or something . Idk American is such a bloody country , I can’t believe I was born here

Reactions: JealousOfTheElderly
veryhappyhuman

veryhappyhuman

Experienced
Aug 25, 2021
I don't think it's that simple tbh. IMO in general, there have been no truly good or bad US presidents, but only shades of grey (including even Trump, and I'm not a right winger).

But that said, I'd say Bush Jr was an exception to this - I legit can't think of any redeeming aspect of this guy's presidency. Guy was a certified dumbass and clearly unfit to lead, BUT also had an administration full of shrewd, evil, cunning war hawks (like Cheney) who caused tons of death and despair in the world. Oh and he also engineered a recession and ramped up civil rights disasters like PRISM etc. It's like he combined the worst aspects of every other prez before him. Truly a miracle that he got a 2nd term and he 100% gets my vote for worst.

I can't think of anyone for "best" overall. Sure, some presidents have done good things but then offset that by doing truly terrible things. IDK enough about JFK but both wings in US seem to like him, so maybe he really was good. Plus he died early so he automatically gets some points for that.

Reactions: JealousOfTheElderly
Jrmull1993

Jrmull1993

Experienced
Jul 13, 2022
John F. Kennedy for the sole reason that he had a lobotomy performed on his daughter so her "Autism" wouldn't be heard by others. His wife claimed it was "Done out of love".

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I'll just say this century I think the best presidents been Obama

Jrmull1993

Jrmull1993

Experienced
Jul 13, 2022
I should have clarified that I was calling him out as the worst....
John F. Kennedy for the sole reason that he had a lobotomy performed on his daughter so her "Autism" wouldn't be heard by others. His wife claimed it was "Done out of love".

Molded foundation

Molded foundation

Student
Sep 17, 2021
78-year-old-andrew-jackson.jpg

The one and only...